What is Frontend Development?
Additionally, frontend development encompasses designing, developing, testing, and deploying application user interfaces.
In terms of specialization, frontend development is an umbrella term for developers who are proficient in frontend technologies and frameworks. Some of these technologies include React, Vue.js, Angular, and Flutter
The Frontend Developer Job Description
Based on our overview of frontend development, you might already have a clue about what is a frontend developer. So let’s continue.
We can summarize the frontend developer job description as:
“A frontend developer’s principal responsibility is to build a functional user interface that creates a seamless user experience.”
From this definition, we can dissect the role of building a user interface and creating a seamless user experience.
Building a user interface encompasses the prototyping, development, testing, and deployment of the application’s frontend components. This uses frontend technologies and frameworks to program the behavior and navigation of the application user interface.
Moreover, frontend developers use APIs that connect requests from the UI to the server-side applications. Afterward, frontend developers debug the UI components to see if there are persisting issues.
This brings us to the connecting statement that creates a seamless user experience. The user experience (UX) is an intangible component of any software application.
However, a frontend developer can provide users with robust and responsive application products. They work with UI/UX experts to bring user-friendly designs to life. This makes their roles in software development extremely fundamental on the business side.
What to expect when you hire a Frontend Developer?
Essentially, frontend developers build the part of a software product that customers engage with. As a user, you would want to have a satisfactory experience when navigating software applications.
So, when frontend developers perform their tasks well, client and user benefits get to enjoy these benefits:
- Fast development of user interfaces. When hiring frontend developers, you can expect faster UI creation compared to hiring developers that don’t specialize in this area. You can easily deploy user-focused outcomes and test them quickly.
- Scalable and easy-to-learn technologies. Frontend development has evolved into a revolutionary field. With the development in technology, frontend development is easy to learn and scalable for different kinds of projects.
- Responsive and functional applications. Similarly, the latest frameworks and libraries make front-end development more robust today. You can expect to have responsive applications that customers and users will enjoy.
- Security. One of the utmost priorities in software today is security. Frontend developers are proficient in implementing security layers to ensure that all data is protected.
What does a Frontend Developer do?
Great power indeed comes with great responsibility. Your software product will only be as good as how your frontend developers build it. But what exactly do frontend developers do? Here are three key roles of frontend developers.
- Designers. Frontend developers work with UI/UX experts to design visually appealing prototypes of web pages. They ensure that the navigation and workflows follow the user requirements. They also apply SEO best practices during development.
- Builders. With their skills and knowledge, frontend developers transform mockups and requirements into working web pages. They may implement the designs to be responsive for various browsers or devices.
- Testers. Finally, frontend developers ensure that their outputs undergo proper testing before deployment. Before the testing phase, the developers should ensure that they accomplished what’s required.